Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 33 - Berry Ranch & Raspberry muffins

Today my friend Franzi, her husband, her kids, Amelie and I went to our local Berry Ranch. The Farm sells meat, veggies, eggs and has few animals like chickens, cows and sheep. The Berry Farm lets you pick your own berries during the summer time. In fall you can pick your own pumpkins. I never inquired about their use of pesticides but will give them a call next week. We picked raspberries fresh from the bushes. One in the basket, one for the mouth. After eating bunch of raspberries, I felt like I sucked on chalk. Either it was dirt or pesticides. I felt a little sick towards the evening but can't really tell what the source of my upset stomach was, followed by a loose bowel movement. 

You have to pay a flat fee of $5.77 for one adult, kids under 3 are free. A pound of raspberries costs $3.15 - essentially you need to pick about 1 1/2 lb to cover your cost. It was hard to estimate how much we picked because generally you buy a tiny plastic box of raspberries at the store. I filled a box (The Berry Ranch provides that) and ended up having 3 lbs of raspberries. What to do, what to do? Well, the next morning we had raspberry chocolate wheat pancakes and I made 12 raspberry chocolate whole-wheat buttermilk muffins from a recipe I found online. I used only unrefined organic sugar and a little sea salt and followed the recipe to a "T". And they turned out really good. You can find the recipe here
Whole-wheat raspberry buttermilk muffins


 Now that we still have a lot of raspberries left, I will make more muffins, more pancakes and some other delicious snacks/desserts until we are out of raspberries. I bet raspberries would also taste great in a salad. 


Me and Amelie at the Berry Ranch















WISDOM OF THE DAY 
Freezing is recommended for long-term storage.  All berries can be prepared with or without sugar or syrup; For freezing they should be packed in an airtight container, leaving 1-inch of head space. Without sugar: Frozen berries should be used within 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment