Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 35 - Happy 4th!!

We are spending the holiday in Twin Falls with Tom's parents. I wanted to make some organic breakfast and lunch today for them. Since we still had tons of raspberries left, I made my famous chocolate chip raspberry pancakes. It was rich and filling.


Amelie waiving at the parade
Since I have never been at a 4th of July parade, we drove to a nearby town called Buhl and watched the small-town parade. Amelie scored a spot in the front and was even offered a seat in kid chair from some lady at the parade. A parade includes a lot of candy and sweet things. Amelie ate a Popsicle and grandpa collected all the candies thrown at her - and we saved them for her after a nap. Anything before that would have ended up in a disaster, you don't mess with kids when they are tired, nor do you fuel their "sugar" energy with candies..hahaha

Buhl parade

We used to buy the Cloverleaf milk from the Boise Co-op. It's the glass bottle with deposit. The dairy farm is located in Buhl and I heard they had a little store where they sell their ice-cream in Buhl so we stopped by there after the parade. Since the pancakes were so rich & chocolaty I didn't have an urge to eat any more sugar, but Tom purchased a scoop and shared  it with Amelie. I was surprised to see that their milk was $1 less than it costs in Boise. They also had local frozen trout, eggs and local honey. The honey was a little overpriced but everything else was very reasonable. 

 For lunch I made garden burgers and a salad from our homegrown lettuce. The last time I made the garden burgers they turned out a little bit to dry therefore I added onions and zucchini which I purchased at the Berry Ranch. Their zucchini was only $1/lb. I love the yellow zucchini they are a little sweeter and juicier in taste. Looks like everyone enjoyed the burgers, because all of the burgers were eaten. We topped the garden burger patties with cheese to add a little extra taste.


For the 4th of July BBQ Tom's parents prepared salmon, salad, yellow and a fruit salad. With filled bellies we walked to a nearby park to watch the firework. We also had Chicken-Feta-Spinach sausages for Amelie, but we never utilized them. One thinks that a typical holiday BBQ has to entail hot dogs but who says that this is the only way? It was very nice to enjoy a healthy 4th BBQ. 

Our BBQ dinner
Amelie eating salmon,potatoes & jello




















I really liked the Twin Falls fireworks! We sat in the park on our lawn chairs and enjoyed the weather and fireworks, while Amelie kept trying to get everyone's attention.
 
Tom, Amelie and me at the park waiting for the fireworks

HAPPY FOURTH!!




No comments:

Post a Comment