Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 37 - Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

I don't know if you heard about Jamie Oliver, you might have heard about his various cookbooks. Today I learned through a friend that he does actually more than that. Jamie Oliver is promoting awareness and a good diet. He uncovers all the myths and states the ugly facts that we struggle with here in the U.S. He is a good speaker, I watched his speech on youtube. Therefore I would like to share a video with you.The video is about 20 min. long so watch it if you get some spare time and are interested - watch this video. 


He is pretty serious about what he promotes. The facts make me sad and angry at the same time. Schools in the US provide continuously unhealthy food to our children and it is a real challenge to change these bad habits in our schools. I am getting anxiety when I think about that Amelie will going to school one day and eat all the crap they provide at lunch time.

SAD..SAD..SAD!! At the same time you don't want to send your child with lunch to school to ostracize them to become the focus of bullies. Growing up in Germany, we always had quality food and hot dogs, french fries, pizza, hamburgers WERE CONSIDERED FAST FOOD! Do I need to say it again?? FAST FOOD - no real cooking required. I think the U.S.  is far from being ready to change this, but Jamie Oliver makes a huge effort to change that.  Good for him! I googled him and found his FOOD REVOLUTION website. I am going to get involved and I will do anything possible to get involved. Please get involved, if you are not interested about your own health, maybe you should think about your young children. 

There is a US map on his website and IDAHO has only 3000 supporters...maybe we should all get involved. My blog focuses mainly on organic food, and if I am not mistaken Jamie battles unhealthy nutrition - I feel that organic food and a healthy diet go hand in hand. 



WISDOM OF THE DAY

Childhood Obesity Facts and Statistics   (these are facts collected in 2011)          
 
One out of every seven low income children in America is obese.
More than 70% of the obese youth are at higher risk of heart diseases.
The hospital costs for children were 35 million in the 1980s and these have increased to 127 million today.
Type 2 diabetes has reached to the levels of 8-9 %; a two-fold increase from the early 1980s.
Obese children are at a higher risk of developing liver diseases, asthma and Sleep Apnea (problems in breathing while sleeping).
Children with obesity have a low self-esteem and the chances of developing psychological problems like depression and anxiety are higher.
Obese children have lesser concentration levels and get tired easily, which can pose challenges in their education and their participation in other extra-curricular activities.
Obese children are subject to a lot of social discrimination and this may cause them to stay away from exercises and social interactions.
Most of the people who complain of arthritis are middle-aged, but obese children are at the risk of developing this disease early on in their lives.
Obesity also takes a toll on the financial health of a family as estimates suggest that a family with an obese child spends 30% more in health costs and 77% more in medication costs.

3 comments:

  1. I love his show, even though I don't have a school age child anymore I still take the advice he gives for my friends and family that do have school age children and it helps with our eating habits. There is one episode where he helps a single father with 2 children eat healthy and get off of junk food. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "At the same time you don't want to send your child with lunch to school to ostracize them to become the focus of bullies."

    I am confused as to why taking a lunch to school would ostracize a child or make them target to bullies? I have two school age children and work at a school... if you want to control what your child consumes, packing lunches is the way to go, rather than "bullying" other parents regarding what their children must eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every city is different and every state is different, in some schools this is a common problem and children are ostracized and picked on and labeled as "Boujie ", even some teachers say inappropriate things. It did not keep me from sending my child to school with homemade lunch.

      Delete