Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 36 - Another home-made soup

The holidays are over and we are both back to regular routine, which includes a better diet. I made an organic vegetable lentil soup I found in the book I blogged about few weeks ago.

The Veggie Kids book is not only for kids, we can benefit from this, too.
I am planning on making every single recipe from this book. With all the healthy cooking I am learning so many new things. For example, I have never heard about red lentils. We purchased some from the bulk section at Co-op - very inexpensive. The recipe asked for a 1/2 cup of red lentils. So, naturally everything in the book can be replaced with as many organic vegetables/fruits as possible. I am excited that we get Amelie to eat so many vegetables without even knowing she is eating them. She struggled with this one a little bit more than the orange-carrot soup, but ended up eating most of her soup. The soup recipes books I have ordered from the library finally came in but were a little disappointing - too hard, too many exotic ingredients and nothing really that I am seeing myself getting excited about.

This soup includes:
  • Carrots
  • Onions
  • Parsley
  • Coriander
  • Vegetable stock
  • Salt & pepper
  • Red lentils
If you want the recipe email me, get the book from the library or simply buy it on Amazon. It's less than $4 with shipping.

WISDOM OF THE DAY 
red lentil    Notes:   The most common type of red lentil is the Red Chief.  It's a lovely salmon pink in its dried form, but it turns golden when cooked.  These lentils cook faster than others.  They're best in purées or soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment