Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 13 - Planning for the upcoming week

Tom and I finally made it happen and planned our dinner/lunches for the upcoming week. This is what we came up with.

Monday - Soup & grilled cheese sandwiches
Tuesday - Chicken & salad
Wednesday - Fish
Thursday - Pizza
Friday - Homemade soup
Sat & Sun - we are still working on ideas

We wrote down all the ingredients we will need and we will stop at 2 different stores. One of them is Winco and the other Co-op. We are buying some organic food at Winco but all vegetables, fruits and eggs at Co-op. We decided to buy the fish at Winco this time. Assuming that fish has no hormones, pesticides (duh!) and is not genetically modified. The fish we purchased at Co-op in the past was a little too expensive. I still haven't figured out what our expenditures are and would like to calculate all the costs and compare if we are actually spending more or less. It certainly feels like we are spending more but at the same time  spending some charges here and there might actually be less than we spend in the past.
I will now start keeping all the receipts from our grocery shopping for two weeks, to report how expensive or inexpensive an organic lifestyle is.

Last night I decided I will NEVER EVER bake cookies again, until someone teaches me how to bake cookies. I am starting to feel very insecure about it. I have never made cookies that either taste good, the texture is good (always make them like scones) or either don't stick together or I burn them. So, if you are a good cookie baker, please get in touch with me and come over and show me how to bake them. I am really eager to learn. I am sure some of you who are reading this now are thinking...What? What's so hard about making cookies? - Well, I'd like to know too! My chocolate chip-oatmeal-whole wheat cookies I tried last night where so far the worst cookies ever.

The dough was dry and didn't mix and when I put the cookie dough in the oven, the cookies didn't melt/spread and stayed just the way I put them on the sheet, just like a ball. I guess they tasted ok, but as soon as you touched them the crumbled. I am looking for a whole wheat chocolate chip cookie recipe. I purchased Xagave - an organic Agave Nectar and would like to use this for cookies.

We are approaching our two weeks of being organic. I will be posting an update and a summary of how our first two weeks have been treating us.

WISDOM OF THE DAY
Agave Salmiana
What is Xagave?
It is  a unique blend of the nectars derived from Agave Tequiliana (Blue Agave) and Agave Salmiana (White Agave) plants. Xagave is 1.4 times sweeter than sugar, therefore you can use less. It is processed at 117F and retains the benefits of a raw food. It is also organic certified. Xagave contains Inulin which promotes healthy function of lower intestine and boosts the immune system. It is also diabetic friendly. It can be used for beverages, cooking, canning and also baking. You can use 2/3 cup of Xagave for each cup of sugar (or 66% of the amount called far) - that sounds great! 
Agave Tequilana

No comments:

Post a Comment