Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 27 - BBQs, stomach and back to organics

This weekend we attended two bbqs. Needless to say none of them were organic, and that's ok. The first bbq we attended was catered and had bbqed chicken, pulled chicken/pork, potato salads..pretty much your everyday bbq food. It was really good and I am not sure if I overate, or am not used to non-organic food anymore or a mix of both. The first one was on Friday and the second one was on Sunday. After each of them I had a acid reflux , the food traveled back towards my throat and for more than 8 hours it felt like I had a rock in my stomach. My stomach didn't process the food and was just resting in my stomach, I felt really heavy, uncomfortable and very bloated. I felt throwing up. ( I never did) Don't misunderstand me, the food at both bbqs was great, but I am not reacting well to it anymore. And at both bbqs, after I finished eating I had the crazy urge to eat more sugar or junk food. It took me the entire weekend to readjust. I felt really crabby all Sunday afternoon. 

 
I made some healthy & tasty snacks for Amelie on the weekend that I wanted to share with you. We all love strawberries and I wanted to make a good use of all of them before they go bad. And yes organic fruits and vegetables are going bad real fast. I guess that's the natural way, that I forgot over the years. You just can't have an apple for months looking fine, or can you? :)
Well, I bought these Popsicle containers at the dollar store to make organic fruitsicles. I don't know if the popsicle are doing their job, because it didn't really stick to the fruit mixture, it might have been too early. I pureed organic strawberries,  and mixed it with organic milk and added the no-hormone whipping cream and a teaspoon of unrefined raw organic sugar. I ate one and they were very good. I am surprised how easy they were to make.


fruitsicles

 Amelie is being potty trained and we are rewarding her with treats. In the past we gave her Dora/Curious George candies, now that we don't give it to her anymore, we found organic fruit sticks. She really likes those. I always try to come up with healthy rewards . Next time she will successfully go to the potty, she will be rewarded with fruitsicles! She doesn't even know she is being rewarded with fruits...healthy stuff..harharhar...evil parents...:)


Natural Burgers, black beans, Mac & Cheese
This Sunday we didn't go grocery shopping, because we still have plenty of food and I really like to push ourselves to save even more money than we already did by switching to organic food. I discovered the bulk cookery. I love the bulk sections and love making up my own recipes. I stumbled upon natural burgers and purchased them. I made them for one of our lunches on the weekend. They are wheat/grain burgers with no meat at all. I was worried about Amelie, but she discovered dipping them into ketchup and finished the whole thing. Tom didn't care for them too much, but didn't mind it. I liked them but if I make them again, I will add more vegetable or additional ingredients to them. They were a little plain, but super handy and not bad considering the easy preparation. Add water to the mix, stir, form patties and fry! Done. :)







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the popsicle recipe, I don't have any kids but sounds like a tasty treat for me and Joe haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tersa, they are really good. I think I would add more sugar or something else..they really taste healthy..haha..but it is enough for a healthy treat/reward for Amelie.

    ReplyDelete