Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 9 - Must be good to be a GMO apple

Good evening friends! Today was somewhat an unhealthy organic food day. We are running low on food and didn't bother to buy anything since both of us were supposed to leave town. My plans got cancelled and I didn't have much at the house to make for lunch. I generally bring my lunch to work every day and despite being tired last night I stood in the kitchen at 11 p.m. to make some pasta. Organic whole wheat pasta, with natural tomato sauce and organic zucchini. It was good, but I think I have a carb overdose and I didn't feel like working out today, because I feel either a little cold coming or some sort of allergies. I was hoping that I will not become sick, since I am eating mainly organic, but I guess eating organic will not stop an incoming cold? I don't know. Does anyone have an answer? I guess even healthy and good food will not prevent a cold. 
Instead of drinking coffee this morning, I switched to a green tea with raw honey. Honey is supposedly filled with tons of good stuff.

Raw honey contains small amounts of a wide array of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants. The vitamins found in honey may include niacin, riboflavin, minerals include calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc. Did I read ANTIOXIDANTS?? What are they? They are loyal protectors and nurturers of our cells, repelling disease, and promoting good health. 

Well, we see how beneficial it is. I don't get sick very often maybe 2-3 a year, and I hope that an organic diet either maintains it or reduces it. Just like the docs say: "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Talking about apples...I mentioned in my previous post that we purchased apples 4 weeks ago and they still look amazing, completely unchanged. The experiment continues and I am keeping the apples until they show some reaction of getting old. Must feel great to be a GMO apple, you never look or get old and always shine. Hahaha..
No, seriously...I am not kidding the apples have not changed a bit. Therefore I took a picture to share this experiment with you. Here is the proof:


GMO apples from local store purchase about 4 weeks ago

First photo of GMO apple
Aren't these apples just pretty? Too bad they taste like nothing. Well, at least they look good and people buy them...I just must stress how great, juicy and delicious organic apples are. And here is a surprising fact, they only cost $1.59/lbs so just about as much as GMO apples. I don't know if all apples are GMO but I am going to assume that anything that is not organic is GMO, since the USA does not believe in labeling GMO foods. And that is why? 

I made a doctor appointment for my annual check-up unfortunately it is not until next month. I did want to see my biometric data before I get too far into my organic diet. By the time I am going to have my appointment, I will have been eating organic food for one month. It will be still interesting to see if anything has changed since last year, I had my last appointment in March, 2010.


Today I made some dinner and would like to share this recipe with you.
You can find the recipe in my recipe section. This was an all organic dinner for only $7.00. I will call it Curry Chicken with Rice and Zucchini.

Tonight's dinner - All organic curry chicken with zucchini & rice

















 WISDOM OF THE DAY
Free range chickens
The U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) requires that chickens raised for their meat have access to the outside in order to receive the free-range certification. There is no requirement for access to pasture, and there may be access to only dirt or gravel.

No comments:

Post a Comment