Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 8 - Genetically Modified Research

  I have to admit I was unaware what GMO was until just about 3 weeks ago. I remember during my university time just about 2-3 years ago that people always wrote papers about it, but I must have been really naive that I didn't even bother to ask. Now I take a different stand on it. 


Ever since I started eating organic food, I fell in love with it. We always ate fruits and vegetables in the past and I always missed the juicy, sweet and unique taste I remember from my childhood. I never knew that it does make a difference eating organic or non-organic produce. I am currently doing a little experiment and am watching the apples we purchased about 4 weeks ago. They still look great, just like the day we purchased them. On the other hand the organic apples we purchased few days ago can't keep up with them even for a week. (That's no problem because the organic apples are so yummy and we eat them within a few days).


Well, during the drive to Twin Falls, Tom and I had a little conversation about GMO. According to the mass information we receive, GMO is not harmful. Here is a short description of GMO. GMO is any organism in which the genetic material DNA has been altered (modified) in a way that does not occur naturally by mating or natural recombination. For instance, a bell pepper may have DNA from a fish added to it to make it more frost-tolerant. GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) are commonly used to refer to all organisms that have added genes from another species which were inserted through the techniques of genetic engineering. GMO is sometimes called "Frankenfood", what an appropriate name...hahaha

Well, I am not sure if I trust the statement that GMO is safe, years ago companies claimed that smoking was good for the health too. I personally think it is wrong and organic food tastes so much better. Two things come to my mind immediately. It is assumed that food allergies are linked to GMO and that is not surprising to me, I find it odd when young kids and people all around me are stating that they have a food allergy. Years ago, there were very few allergies now almost every other person is allergic to some food.  Makes me wonder if there is a connection. The other thought I have on GMO is, if DNA from a fish is added to it or some gene from an animal (which is awful if you think about it) does that mean that vegetarians are actually eating animals? Hmmmm...

I started to do some research and it is truly a jungle of information to weed through. Who really knows the truth and who really is providing accurate information? Whatever the outcome is, I strongly believe that we people should be able to have a CHOICE to eat GMO or not, therefore support mandatory labeling for GMO foods.

Many countries in Europe have taken the opposite position: that genetic modification has not been proven safe, and therefore that they will not accept genetically modified food from the United States or any other country.

How can you avoid GMO food?
1. Choose food labeled USDA certified organic, which forbids GE.
2. Choose food labeled “Non GM” and dairy labeled “cows not given rBGH” (recombinant bovine growth hormone).
3. Weed out processed foods from your diet and eat more fresh, seasonal whole foods


I also learned from Tom that GMO creates another problem, namely the "superweed" - a plant almost nothing can kill. This sounds like a sci-fi movie. But just think about it... a plant that can't be killed?? That sounds scary. I have to admit, the more I get involved with organic food the more I learn about my environment and food habits. I was so blind!


Here is one of the articles I found online - Genetically Engineered Superweeds Emerge in Canada

 WISDOM OF THE DAY
The following countries have banned or restricted the import, distribution, sale, utilization, field trials and commercial planting of GMO’s: 
Africa: Algeria, Egypt 
Asia: Sri Lanka, Thailand, China, Japan, Phillipines
Europe: The European Union, Norway, Austria, Germany United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Greece, France, Luxembourg, Portugal
Latin America: Brazil, Paraguay
Middle East: Saudi Arabia
North America: Maryland has banned GE (genetically engineered) fish and North Dakota and Montana have filed bans on GE wheat. The Municipalities of Burlington, Vermont (declared a moratorium on GE food), Boulder, Colorado (bans on GE crops) and the City and County of San Francisco (urged the federal government to ban GE food) are the only towns or states to take some sort of stand against plants, animals, foods, crops and body products that are, or contain Genetically Modified Organisms.
NOTE: The U.S. government, and the FDA do not require anything Genetically Modified to be identified on ingredient lists. Genetically Modified foods and products are in widespread use and distribution throughout the U.S.
Pacific: American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Australia, New Zealand

No comments:

Post a Comment