Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 22 - Soups & organic hair/skin products

Yesterday my friend Diana, who is by the way very organic conscious as well, brought her home made organic cabbage soup to work. I ate it at lunch! Wow. I think soup making is a skill and that soup was just right on. Perfectly seasoned, full of vegetables (I can't even tell what was in there, because there was so much) and still organic. I really like the little cherry tomatoes in the soup. Well, that def. encourages me to make more soup. I am excited to try some soup recipes as long as they require easily accessible ingredients. I hate when recipes are asking for things I can't even pronounce. Most of the ingredients that are foreign to me are foreign to our state/area, plus it's for a SOUP!!! not some luxurious three course meal. 

Anyway. I had the Perfect Soups book checked out from my local library and returned it now to look for some other soup books. I love the way the book was setup, step-by-step instructions with photos. I like it that way!

I also have been a little experimental and made organic whole wheat pancakes with spinach, onions and zucchini the other day. I liked it, Amelie ate it and Tom "pretended" liking them. But I thought it was a good idea to eat them as a side dish with our organic chicken drumsticks.
The package of 6 chicken drumstick was about $4.00 compared to buying a 20 pack of non-organic chicken drumstick for $4.00 or less. But the difference is the TASTE! Turns out Tom does not like chicken drumsticks as much as I do, but when we both took our first bite we were amazed how yummy they taste. Tom said, "I never liked the chicken you bought at Winco (but he still ate it), but these are really good". I ate two and the third one smelled funny. The chicken was purchase last week and I believe it should have still be good. When I opened up the package to prepare the chicken it smelled a little funny, but who really likes the raw smell of chicken?

I was not worried or concerned. And I did not get sick or nauseated as I generally do when I ate non-organic chicken. But once I took a bite of the third chicken, there was the smell again. This was the first time that organic food grossed me out a bit. But the most important thing to me is that I don't get sick and that the taste is good - and naturally the quality. Like I mentioned the first two drumsticks were amazing!

I am now three weeks into blogging about our organic lifestyle/diet, but have wondered about some other things that come with organic lifestyle. In the past I used to buy bulk lotions/oils and shampoo at Co-op and the Dragonfly. Mainly because it was inexpensive and smelled so unique. I used to use almond oil for my skin and it complimented my skin so well. I also used to make my own shower gel at Dragonfly (which is more expensive than store-bought) but I used to be crazy about sandalwood and patchouli. (I know, I know..patchouli is an acquired fragrance)

On Sunday when we did our weekly grocery shopping, I looked at some hair/skin bulk products at Co-op. I purchased organic jo-joba oil and natural shampoo. The shampoo feels weird on my hair, but makes my hair feel soft as soon as it's dry. The oil smells good and keeps my skin smooth all day. I like to apply it to dry areas, like my heels and legs. It's too early to tell if they are any better than regular store-bought products, but they are way cheaper. I am looking for people who switched to organic skin/hair products and would like to see their point/experience. In the past I have tried to make my own skin/hair products from vegetables/herbs and natural products and they generally smelled awful and were hard to store, but they surely are fun to make.

WISDOM OF THE DAY
The question for me is why use organic hair/skin products? Conventional hair products contain petroleum-based polymers, silicones, synthetic chemicals and colorants that can cause scalp irritation, dandruff or even hair loss. Organic hair care products are only made with natural plant ingredients that nourish, balance and moisturize hair without harming your scalp or damaging the environment. I have discovered in my small research that Sodium Lauryl Sulfate are used in a lot of hair and skin products. This inexpensive detergent is commonly used in cosmetic cleansers, hair shampoos, bath and shower gels, bubble baths, etc. - It is probably the most dangerous ingredient used in skin and hair-care products. In the cleaning industry SLS is used in garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers, car-wash soaps, etc. It is very corrosive and readily attacks greasy surfaces. I don't know much about it and know that my hair has been o.k. all my life so I don't know what to think about all organic products, but I will give it a try for few weeks, mainly because it is less expensive than the items I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment