Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 19 - Homemade soup

Today I tried making a homemade soup - Spiced Carrot and Orange Soup. I made it from this book. The instructions are easy and the soup was super yummy. I will be posting photos of the soup soon. It was actually so good that I decided to make this soup this week again. It is pretty inexpensive. Here is what you need: ( the recipe will be available in the recipe section.)

1 1/2 lbs carrots
1 onion
2 oranges
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp coriander/cilantro
salt & pepper
Chicken/vegetable stock
light cream

Preparations for the soup
All of the ingredients I used are organic and not too expensive. We got carrots for $1.99, onion for about $1, oranges for $0.90, vegetable stock $2.40, light cream $0.80. Equals just about $7 for the entire family (and plus another toddler I was watching that day). I think this is pretty good. We had some bread with it and were satisfied.

The final product - yummy soup





I am playing catch up with my blog, I somehow got busy with life and wasn't able to post. I am now writing everything from memory and can't remember what else we did on Saturday. Therefore this one will be short and from now on I will try to keep posting everyday.










 WISDOM OF THE DAY
 Not only do organic carrots taste sweet and even a little juicy the main reason our family will stay away from non-organic carrots is that according to the USDA Pesticide Data Program carrots in the US can contain up to 26 Pesticide Residues Found by the USDA Pesticide Data Program . You can check out the link here.
Carrots that are not organic may contain pesticides such as: Linuron (herbicide that kills weeds without harming vegetables), Trifluralin (Trifluralin is a commonly used pre-emergence herbicide. With about 14 million pounds used in the United States in 2001), Pyraclostrobin (Pyraclostrobin is an agricultural pesticide product used to kill fungi) and many others. The website also contains interesting health effects - not sure if that is reliable but an interesting fact, which I will have to research a little more. To me a good reason to adhere to an organic diet, not to fond of pesticides for dessert. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment