Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 23 - Restaurants on my mind..

What if you are tired of cooking and want to feel spoiled and have someone cook for you? Well, you go to a restaurant. But there are not very many healthy/organic ones here in Boise.

I am surprised that there are only so little organic and health conscious restaurants. I am sure it is not easy to maintain an all organic kitchen with the prices and quantity needed to keep the prices low for customers but still..we don't have much to chose from here in Boise. I would love to go on an organic restaurant trip. I am excited to go on a trip anytime but making it like a hobby to test, find and review organic restaurants/cafes. 

Well, I have been looking for some healthy organic restaurants here in Boise, because we already went to two of the restaurants I wanted to check out. Now there is one or two I would like to try.

One is called: Zen Bento - here is an excerpt from their website.
  • SALMON: 6 ounce North Atlantic salmon filets.
  • AHI: 4 ounces of sushi grade Ahi.
  • TOFU: 5 ounces of organic tofu. Need we say more?
  • VEGGIES: Broccoli, green and red cabbage, yellow squash, zuchinni and carrots comprise our veggies. Our veggies are hand cut and steamed with no added seasonings, oils, butter or preservatives. Natural.
  • RICE: Each Bento has approximately 10 ounces of Japanese steamed rice (also known as “sticky rice” or medium grain rice). We offer both white and brown rice. Of course, the brown rice is known for having more nutritional value due to the added fiber. Calories are the same. The Zen Salad has approximately 4 ounces of rice.
It sounds pretty good. They state they do not use MSG and state on their website: Although the goal was to provide a healthy alternative to the typical fast food routine, Zen Bento did not advertise itself as a "health food establishment", for fear of the negative image it might generate. Rather, Zen Bento opened its doors and offered its product and let the public decide if  they liked it.

There are two locations in the area.
1000 North 10th Street
Boise, ID 83702

(208) 388-8808

42 East State Street,
Eagle, ID
(208) 938-4277
I will check them out and post about it. 

I received a link from Ashley (thank you Ashley) to an interesting article.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/menshealth/photos/10-dirtiest-foods-youre-eating#0

The title of the article is: 10 Dirtiest Foods You're Eating

I appreciate all feedback, posts, and links/articles people have been providing me with 
for the past weeks. I want to thank everyone who is showing interest and taking the time to read my blog.
THANK YOU!

When it come to our finances and eating organic food, we are doing really well. I went to the doctor yesterday and they checked my blood pressure (it is not an all around check-up just a basic) and I was told that my blood pressure is REALLY good. When I asked what does that mean..and she just said: "Well, let me put it this way - it's a better than good". I am so happy because I know that few years ago, it wasn't so good. I don't know much about it but I want to say that our diet is contributing. I will learn more about my stats once I go to my other doctor for an annual check up, which is beginning of July.  
WISDOM OF THE DAY
I guess reading this now, makes a lot more sense. I must be really sensitive to even a little bit. Now that I have been paying  attention to what I eat I have not got sick for over a month! The Consumers Union, the advocacy group behind Consumer Reports, recently tested 484 raw broiler chickens - the kind that show up in the supermarket coolers - and found that 42 percent were infected by Campylobacter jejuni, and 12 percent by Salmonella enter-ides. Campylobacter jejuni: A bacterium that typically infects the bowels. Now the leading cause of bacterial food poisoning. Campylobacter jejuni is most often spread by contact with raw or or undercooked poultry. A single drop of juice from a contaminated chicken is enough to make someone sick. Disease caused by Campylobacter jejuni is called Campylobacteriosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment