Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 5 - Farmer's Market

Today we are in Twin Falls, ID and staying with Tom's parents. Last night we had a delicious home-made lasagna and a yummy salad. I ate so much and I knew I would because it was really delicious and there was a lot of it. Sure enough our body noticed the difference in nutrition...if you know what I mean. After dinner Tom's mom had organic fudge for us. I don't think I have ever eaten such good fudge.

Twin Falls is a small town with about 50,000 people. Karen, Tom's mom told me that they used to have few organic/health stores in town but they went out of business. I guess I feel somewhat spoiled living in Boise and having so many options after all. Boise does not compare to other big cities but it seems like we have enough. We noticed that there is a Farmer's Market in Twin Falls, ID and went to check it out. It had about 15-20 stands and about 60% of it was jewelry and clothes/bags. One really interesting thing about this market was that the free range chicken eggs were only $2.50! In Boise, we pay $3.45 for the cheapest free range chicken eggs. Naturally, we go a dozen there and since Tom loves honey so much we decided to buy local raw honey for $5.00 a jar. I am not sure what size the glass is but I would assume a regular sized jelly jar. I don't generally eat honey, but I tasted it and it reminds me of good old childhood memories.



 WISDOM OF THE DAY
What is raw honey?
Raw honey is honey that is taken right from the hive, extracted and put in a bottle. It is not heated to pasteurize and consequently, it will crystallize (turn cloudy) in about 2 months. This makes the honey less attractive to the buyer but doesn’t not harm the flavor. The fragrance and goodness of natural honey is preserved. Sugars (especially fructose), antioxidants, pollen and minerals are preserved. 
 I am suggesting a great book I have read on the way to Twin Falls. I will be citing many interesting facts I have learned from this book. If you would like to learn about organic cooking and get some wonderful insights and tips, check out this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment